Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Big News!

I am starting a new blog to chronicle my journey in this new adventure I am starting. I have decided to train to run a half marathon! A person came into my work and gave me a few pamphlets that said "PSYCHED" with a very athletic looking girl on the cover. I think his hope was that we would leave them on the desk so customers would take them, but my boss is not really into advertising for others, even for a good cause. So one day I was bored and took a look at the pamphlet. I was intrigued and inspired. So The Leukemia & Lymphoma society's Team in Training prepares you for various races while fundraising for cancer.

OK you are probably wondering how on earth I came to this decision! Well a good friend of mine Amanda Keene trained last year for a 5K. She was crazy dedicated and when I saw this pamphlet and remembered Amanda's Journey, a light bulb went off! What a genius idea! I have been on the fence about getting in shape and healthy, but always full of excuses. When Amanda trained for her race she had to make good choices and work to be fit enough to finish the race! So I am very excited to focus on getting across the finish line, and really jump start a lifestyle change! The race is right before my 25th birthday, I see that as a turning point. I will be a quarter of a century old! So this is my 25th year challenge!

You are probably thinking half marathon that is still crazy! I agree, but I really have a sense of peace about it. The real selling point for this organization, is that its a team. You train together, there are coaches to help you, and people to cheer you on. I am not really afraid of the distance just the idea of getting up to run on my own. With the team I have people holding me accountable, and mentoring me. I also am very excited to meet new people, and start a new hobby.

I do not personally know anyone who has or had this kind of cancer, But I know that any cancer is rough, and its worth working to help anyone with cancer. My mom died of Colon cancer almost 3 years ago. I was with her through all the surgeries, chemo, radiation, and just plain feeling sick. So I know in part the struggles for families dealing with cancer. My mom really wanted me to be happy and healthy, she did not want me to go through what she did. So I know she would be so proud of me for doing this.

So please read my posts, encourage me, pray for me, run with me, and financially support me! My goal is to raise 3,000, it would be phenomenal if we surpassed that goal! My way of breaking it down is the idea that if 150 of my friends gave 20 dollars the goal would be met! I have a fundraising page that I will link to this. I hope you find my posts exciting, funny and maybe they will potentially inspire you to take on a challenge like this like Amanda has inspired me!

6 comments:

  1. ALBERTA! I am so proud of you! I remember when we did that run in the war college and I distinctly remember your perseverance during it. You ran faster and harder than anyone and that lets you know that you can do it! This is an awesome idea and I wish that I had as much motivation as you do. I will pray for you whenever you ask (and even when you don't) I hope that this is an uplifting and amazing experience for you. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord!!! Reading this has inspired ME once again! Crazy how God works, huh? I LOVE you and am SOOOOOOOO proud of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww yay! It is funny how God works! We need others! We need each other! You got this! Don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww yay! It is funny how God works! We need others! We need each other! You got this! Don't worry!

    ReplyDelete